domingo, 31 de março de 2013

*. Dunwich .*

Album: Il Chiarore Sorge Due Volte (1995)
Genre: Prog Folk (Symphonic/Metal/Medieval Folk)  /  Italy

Thanks to Ivan Melgar for this suggestion. A lot of really good music--the medieval parts/influences being my favorites. I guess I'm discovering something about my prog tastes: I seem to like the groups who incorporate old and acoustic instruments and arts (e.g. operatic singing, symphonic structures, chamber strings and troubadour insturments) and I really enjoy good female voice--and boy does DUNWICH have one in Katya Sanna! While the metal/heavy prog elements of this album are not my favorite, there are more than enough of the softer, subtler, more 'medieval' and pastoral/folk sections and themes to make up for these. While not a masterpiece, this is great music--music that continues growing on me with each listen. Ivan mentions MIRANDA SEX GARDEN-- which went on to become one of my favorite bands from the Naughties, MEDIAEVAL BAEBES (especially with "Yatima" [8/10] and "La nuova rugiada" [7/10]), while I find myself also reminded of DARGAARD, CLAIRE HAMMILL, LOREENA MCKENNITT ("La rivalsa di Aki-Gahuk" [8/10]), and ADIEMUS/MIRIAM STOCKLEY as well as EPICA, WITHIN TEMPTATION, and NIGHTWISH. I love the ROY BUCHANAN-like electric guitar work and vocal variety on "Il viaggio di Wesahaycah." Not a masterpiece but close; definitely an excellent addition to any prog lover's music collection--especially one that appreciates the integration of older 'medieval' instruments and themes and beautiful clear female vocals. Review by "BrufordFreak" (Prog Archives).

RATING:  7.75 / 10


.

Nenhum comentário :

Postar um comentário