sábado, 26 de outubro de 2013

*. Havnatt .*

Album: Etterlatte (2013)
Genre: Dark Folk (Acoustic/Contemporary Folk)  /  Norway

Havnatt (from doom metal ensemble Omit) builds upon their former release Havdøgn, with a new, longer interpretation of Tormod Skagestad's poems. Etterlatte (t/l: (the) abandoned) is a pleasant, acoustic guitar-driven album with soothing female vocals. This time they introduce violins, cellos and clarinets in some of their compositions. While I could criticize their musical interpretations for getting too plain during the course of the album, the music is still rich, atmospheric and technically excellent. Cecilie Langlie's vocals sent chills through me several times. Her singing, however, is also one of the two small problems that I have with the album. I keep hearing the same notes and intervals sung in every song, and her singing style does not change. At times I wish there was a male vocalist accompanying her. The second qualm I have is that while Tom Simonsen's playing is really diverse and beautiful, the complicated riffs also become a downside. This is because he rushes a bit too quickly through the chords sometimes and does not allow enough breathers. These two points do not, in my humble opinion, help to create a varied, or should I say balanced, musical experience. While that is said, one can easily notice that Havnatt have done an admirable job at keeping the compositions as varied and interesting as they could. Musical depictions of poems tend to get tedious quite readily, and they have decently avoided that pitfall. I occasionally miss the spoken word format, as the rhymes and rhythms of the poems get stretched and disproportioned in Havnatt's format. But it's nothing critical, and if I want spoken word I go listen to something else. As for the lyrics, they are sung in their original form, which is a particular Nynorsk dialect. They are about life on the Norwegian countryside, mostly containing subtle, beautiful descriptions of nature and instances. They definitely add a lot to the songs. I especially enjoyed the lyrics of the poem "Sovande Gard" (Tolkning 1 (Interpretation 1) had the superior mood IMO). The album fits perfectly for setting a relaxed and soothing mood; I know I will put it on during slow evenings when the stress of tomorrow's exigencies are about to set claws in me. Review by "Naratchi" (Rate Your Music).

RATING:  7.5 / 10

.

Nenhum comentário :

Postar um comentário