quinta-feira, 24 de outubro de 2013

*. Airto Moreira .* (Reissue)

Album: Identity (1975)(Reissue 2003)
Genre: Jazz Rock Fusion (Latin Jazz/Funk/Prog)  /  Brazil

I think this is best of Airto's albums. It has an epic quality to it, and less funk (although I love funk), mostly thoughtful pieces that move through a sort of questioning texture. Identity is not hard jazz, not as frantic as say Virgin Land, but it isn't soft jazz either.  It's a journey or sorts, and that lends the entire album a unity that goes beyond rhythmic tropes characteristic of Brazil, or jazz gestures already wearing out there welcome in 1975. The brilliant Rhodes piano by Egoberto Gismonti on this album carries the songs forward although with the sometimes urgent, sometimes thoughtful percussion gymnastics characteristically of Airto's work. The mixture of heavy rock guitar with the gossamer flow of bass and voices shows how well Airto understood how to form a soundworld of wonder and taste. Of course, this, his best album, is out of print. I got a copy (as a completist, formerly considering Virgin Land his masterpiece), but when I started listening, the music transfixed me, and like albums I have loved for years, I listened to it five times in a row. This is a keeper, oh my bratvas. Review by "mburgh" (Rate Your Music).

RATING:  7.75 / 10


.

Nenhum comentário :

Postar um comentário