segunda-feira, 8 de outubro de 2012

*. L'Alba di Morrigan .*

Album: The Essence Remains (2012)
Genre: Prog Rock (Post/Heavy Prog/Crossover)  /  Italy

L’Alba Di Morrigan are an Italian 3 piece Post Rock band who originated in Turin around 2008. The band consists of Ugo Ballisai (Guitar/Vocals), Alessio Caruso (Bass) and Luca Costanzo (Drums). L’Alba Di Morrigan were signed to My Kingdom Music and have now completed recording their debut album ‘The Essence Remains’. Now I have to be honest, sadly I don’t know that many Italian Metal bands! In fact when I really thought about it the only two bands I could think of were Lacuna Coil and Ephel Duath. So when the press pack came through from L’Alba Di Morrigan’s label I made it a priority to listen to this debut and I’m really glad I did. The first thing I noticed about this album is these guys really know how to create a stunning atmosphere. The album is full of layers, from the soft harmonised vocals to the reverberating and epic guitar parts it really makes listening to this album a delight. Introductory track ‘Snowstorm’ starts with Ballisai’s smooth vocal accompanied by lightly picked guitar and Costanzo keeping the track flowing with some light tribal drumming. The track just flows nicely in and out of delicate chord progressions with Ballisai’s warm vocal tone keeping you hooked. When 2nd Track ‘The Fairies Circle’ started I instantly thought of American super group ‘A Perfect Circle’ with its choice of chords and jarring guitar rhythm. The track simmers down and the band shows off a bit of their Progressive aptitude, in particular Drummer Luca Costanzo keeps the band tight with a subtle tom and cymbal accented groove. Again Ballisai’s vocals are impressive and occasionally remind me of ‘Opeth’s’ Mikael Åkerfeldt. Track 3 ‘Silence’ is such a warm sounding track, its one of those songs that totally transcends you to another place whilst listening to it, again it has many layers and the guitar work is especially striking. ‘Lilith’ is a bit more commanding with the guitars packing a bit of distortion and the drumming becoming more rock influenced. The track also is sung in the bands native tongue of Italian, which sounds pleasant on the ear even though I didn’t understand a word of it. Tracks 5 and 6 ‘Holy Mountain Parts 1 & 2’ were both good tracks, maybe not my favourites as I felt vocally they were a little more reserved compared to previous tracks. Track 7 ’24 Megatons’ and track 8 ‘The Essence Remains’ had me captivated again with the band showing off their accomplished songwriting skills. The instrumental closer ‘Equilibrium’ was a bit drawn out and I wish the album would have finished on something a bit greater. As far as ‘The Essence Remains’ goes it’s a really fantastic attempt for a bands debut album and I can only imagine that through time this band will get better and better. The musicianship on ‘The Essence Remains’ is first class and Ugo Ballisai’s vocals….well I can’t compliment them enough really. The album had some real melancholic moments but it was nicely contrasted with uplifting melodies, even with a few blips in this album I am without doubt that this band will go on to do great things. Review by "Dave" (www.rocknreelreviews.com).

RATING:  8 / 10

.

Um comentário :

juan manuel muñoz disse...

mil gracias y saludos afectuosos. Un abrazo

Postar um comentário